I’m a parliamentary researcher and press officer with experience in political journalism, transcription, PR and TV production, currently working in the office of Katy Clark MSP in the sixth Scottish Parliament.
I’ve previously worked on election debates and party leader specials for BBC One and BBC Scotland featuring the likes of Boris Johnson, Nicola Sturgeon, Jeremy Corbyn and Nigel Farage. For two and a half years, I worked as Senior Researcher on BBC Question Time, the UK’s flagship political debate programme, writing detailed political briefs and booking high profile politicians, journalists, authors, entertainers, lawyers, business leaders, trade unionists and academics from across the political spectrum. I founded and edited leading Scottish socialist platform Conter between 2017 and 2019.
I have a decade of experience working in various freelance roles, working in news reporting, features writing, opinion, arts reviews, video docs, podcasting and more. My specialisms and interests have included Scottish and UK politics, grassroots activism, youth cultures, social movements and underground music. I‘ve had front page exclusive stories published by The Scotsman and Edinburgh Evening News. I also have bylines with The i Paper, Huffington Post, The National, Sunday National, Scotland on Sunday, Glasgow Evening Times, Sunday Herald, The Oban Times, Bella Caledonia and others.
I am also an experienced arts/culture writer and editor. I provided regular cover as Entertainments Editor for Edinburgh Evening News in 2017. Two years earlier, I launched The National newspaper’s music section and compiled it for 40 issues. I’ve written arts features and reviews for the likes of Vice, The Skinny, Clash and Stereoboard, hosted and contributed to media/panel discussions and nominated or judged for Scottish music awards. I also founded and edited Hip Hop Scotland and prior to that co-edited Scotland Stand Up, the local scene’s main long-running reviews sites and podcasts, between 2013 and 2022. I produced vlogs and short documentaries on the scene for BBC Scotland‘s online ‘The Social‘ project.
- Winner – NUJ Ian Bell Memorial Award for Scottish Student Journalist of the Year 2017
- Winner – Best Feature – Scottish Student Journalism Awards 2017
- Nominated – Best Arts/Entertainment Story – Scottish Student Journalism Awards 2017
- Nominated – Best Factual Documentary – RTS Scotland Student Awards 2016
- MA Multimedia Journalism (Merit) – trained in shorthand, production, media law, ethics and public affairs
- Diploma Accreditation by the National Council for the Training of Journalists
- Diploma Accreditation by the Broadcast Journalism Training Council
- BA English & Film and Media – First Class (Hons)
- Scottish Trade Union Congress – Youth Committee 2019
- National Union of Journalists – Scottish Executive Council 2021-22
- National Union of Journalists – Glasgow Branch Secretary 2022-
- GMB Trade Union – Branch Committee Member 2022-